Saturday, July 30, 2011

Thrifty Pedestal Bowl



I never go to the thrift shop, but earlier this year I decided to make a trip anyway. I drove to the city and visited a thrift shop. I called up my friend of ~32 years and we had lunch that day so I knocked out two things at once. She thought I was crazy for my finds that day, but I swear for about $20 I got enough stuff to keep my busy for quite some time. I got canvases, frames, votives, magazine holder, candlesticks, etc. I could go on, but I will spare you the rest!
Never mind the light bulb! I was thinking I would do something else with it at first. Add sand paper, E6000, a plate, bowl, or cheese dome with block, and clear acrylic sealer for this craft.

I found this amazingly heavy candlestick though, and I decided to give it a makeover. I removed the metal candle holder from the top. Next, I started with a light sand. Off with the old, in with the new. Then I painted over it a dark brown to get rid of that blue! Once that dried I used a creme colored acrylic paint to paint over the brown.


Next, I gave the edges a light roughing up. Cleaned up the loose grit, and sprayed it with acrylic sealer x 2.


I also used Epoxy 6000 to glue the candle holder cup to the back of a beautiful bowl that was gifted to me from someone dearest to me with change she had...it was on clearance and I had left my purse behind. Clearly a mistake...you think?



Well, once everything had taken its course and dried nicely, I placed the candle holder into the candle stick and jumped over it three times. No really I just marveled at the possibilities that this little bowl will hold. I just know I am going to enjoy it. It cost me about $0.50 to make and my daughter... $2.75 :)- .