Sunday, July 3, 2011

Mod Paper Accordion Flowers or Circles as Wall Hangings, Ornaments, or Embellishments


These little accordions are easy, inexpensive, and quick to make.  You can use these accordions as wall hangings by themselves, on a canvas, on frames, or as ornaments for Christmas!

Materials included: Scrapbook paper, scissors, ruler, glue, hot glue with hot glue gun, buttons, felt (optional), and string or jute (optional).


The first thing I did was to measure the scrapbook paper. My paper was a large irregular size of 12x12.

I divided the sheet into four sections of 3" wide and cut out four strips.

Fold the end over approximately 1/2" and then repeat to form an accordion. 

After you have folded three of the sections into an accordion, glue the ends together to make one long strip.

Now glue the ends together to form a circle.

With the fourth strip, you can cut it in half and start the process over using two strips to glue together and form a circle.




 Now you take a piece of felt or paper and cut a smaller circle that you will hot glue to the backside of the accordion. Push from the outside of the circle inward to make sure the center of the accordion is tightly together after the hot glue sets.
On the back of this one, I used a piece of scrap paper instead of felt. :)

I attached a jute string to the backside so I can hang this on my wall.

On the front side I placed a button because that was all I had on hand at the moment I glued the first accordion together and had to cover a boo boo on the front. I imagine that you can use painted bottle top lids, rolled yarn or string, cut outs from cards or anything your little heart desires or has on hand.




I have them placed on this canvas so you can see just how cute they would be with a printed monogram cut out of photo paper.

Garland

Wall Hanging

They can be used for table settings with a wire attached to the backside. You can also add wire to the backside to make flowers for a vase or a wall hanging. They can be ornaments for any time of year. You can make them into a garland just like you would a paper bunting. You can add a photo to the front with some trim and it is a super cute frame for a grandmother or mom! Another great idea with them is that you can add them to the side of a frame.

These scrappy doohickey circles or flowers have endless possibilities!