Saturday, July 2, 2011

Monogrammed Canvas Wall Art


I found this cute idea at the MommaGoRound blog located at: http://www.mommagoround.com/2011/03/initial-wall-art-with-boerman-ramblings.html and thought I would make it and share it with you.

TIP: One thing I find with people using Mod Podge or Collage Pauge, is that they use too much. If you paint on a thin layer to your paper's backside then your paper will most likely not bubble up as much if at all. The same with the top layer. You can always come back after it dries initially to add the top layer and a second layer for more of a finish. 


Materials I used were Collage Pauge or Mod Podge, a pocket dictionary, scissors, exacto knife, paint sponge or brush, ruler, decorative shears (optional), a printed font on paper or photo paper, and a cheap canvas. I found my canvas at the thrift shop for $1.00. It is a Camp Rock from Disney canvas. It has a really nice hanger on the back of it, and the canvas will be covered by the end of the project. 

 
I started by cutting out pages from the dictionary. I used the pocket dictionary that costs about $1 before school starts you see them in the stores. The one I used was old and yellowed a bit. I painted Collage Pauge onto the canvas and the backside of the paper. Next I placed the paper on the canvas where I coated it with the Collage Pauge. Once I covered all areas with dictionary pages to include the sides, I covered the paper with a thin coat of Collage Pauge and let it dry.


Instead of using beans on the canvas at the end of the project onto my monogram like MommaGoRound, I decided to use a printed monogram on photo paper with the year anniversary year.

In Word, I inserted a shape choosing oval. I chose to format the oval with small squares instead of a solid line. I inserted a text box and used the font "Californian" for the letter "H" sized 600. You can type the size in the pull down in Word since it doesn't go past 72. I inserted another text box under the middle of the "H" and used the font "Edwardian" for the name "Herring" in gray and bold. The last text box I stretched up the side of the "H" and  typed "Est. 1994" in black in "Edwardian".  Both of these were also in a smaller font. When you insert a text box in Word 2007, there is a small place on the upper left hand corner of your monitor that says "text direction". Click on that to make text print sideways on your paper.


I printed my monogram on pro photo paper glossy and cut out the monogram using scissors with a decorative shear. Then I used Collage Pauge onto the backside and the covered canvas where I was going to attach the monogram to the frame.  





I made sure to measure the top, bottom, and both sides. I made sure my monogram was lined up, centered, level, and right side up. It's important to know where the hanger is on the canvas before you put your monogram on the canvas!


Now once all the pasting was complete I let it dry overnight. In the morning I added a thin layer to the top of the entire project and let it dry.


I think it turned out so cute-- I love it! This project only cost me $1 because I had all the supplies on hand except for the recycled canvas.

Happy Crafting!