Saturday, August 27, 2011

Football Game Night Redneck Country Cowbell Noisemaker

     Well football season is here again. For all you stadium parents out there who like to make a little noise without straining your vocal chords a noisemaker is right up your alley. If you are like me, my voice doesn't carry over loud. That makes it easier to ignore when I yell down to my kids. At least that is what my children have me thinking after of years of having such an ignorant blissful look upon their face at times like "Come on let's go" or "Come here!" Well this won't help me with that, but the players on the field will hear it loud and clear each time they run the ball, score a goal, or do something exceptionally well!

HERS
 


 HIS



For this craft you will need: a cowbell, paint pen or Sharpie, spray paint is optional, clear acrylic spray or Collage Pauge/Mod Podge (any type of sealer will work), stickers, pictures, or cut outs, 1/2" thick dowel rod, screw, screwdriver, drill with bit, saw, glue, pliers, and a must in every household--duct tape.

The first thing we did was twist the handle on the cowbell. You don't have to do this if you bought the bell with a nice big handle, but if it has a super small loop on it for an actual cow, then twist the metal to the side a bit with some pliers.

Next put the screw through the opening in the loop with the point facing upward.  Drill a small hole into the bottom of the dowel rod. Place the dowel rod onto the point of the screw and hold the top of the screw with either pliers or a screwdriver depending on the space. Place a small amount of all purpose glue or heavy duty glue around the base of the screw or the opening where the screw head comes through. You want the dowel rod to really stay in place once you screw it on.


 Finally, twist the rod into the screw until it is tight. I placed glue between the rod and the handle on the image below and my husband tightened it down.    
                                              



Now, decide how long you want the dowel rod, and cut off the excess with a saw. Once you have it the length you desire, you can start to paint it or decorate it. One of my bells, the one that needed much work or course was tan. I did not like that color and it did not match my team's colors, so I had a can of white spray paint handy and covered it well. Let it dry thoroughly before moving on to the next step.


The bell I own with a nice big handle is black in color which I love. A sticker would have been nice, but I don't have any for our team so I just wrote a few short things to keep it simple and manly. So, I just used a paint pen to write on it.


I covered the writing with Collage Pauge, a matte sealer, since paint pens tend to wear off after a while. It is white when you first cover it, but it dries clear. There are two finishes with this product and I am using Matte since that is the texture of the bell.

This is the bell that my husband uses. He would not appreciate my many talents if I doctored it up any more than I did. Sometimes you have to keep it simple...



As you know, I am a southern lady--girl at heart. So my bell is a little more frilly than his. I cut out an image off an old homecoming ribbon and the word "GATORS". I used Collage Pauge placing a thin layer on the bell, the back side of the foiled cutouts, and then a layer over the top once it was put in place. Wait for it, wait for it, I always hate that part--let it dry.  

IDEA: Use a picture of your child Collage Pauged onto the bell; Use vinyl stickers for their school initials, jersey # and/or name!

Spray paint on wood always leaves a tacky feeling in my hand, and I really hate that. You know us rednecks must have duct tape involved in most things we do whether it be taping a mailbox to the stand, keeping a cooler lid on tight, or taping up the mouths of our babes when they back talk... no not really, but it was a good thought. LOL. I used zebra striped, yes duct tape has come a long way since gray, and I covered that handle from top to bottom. (Put your ribbons on last unlike me).

NOTE: I rolled the tape once around and cut and smoothed out the wrapping to remove any air bubbles. Then moved down to the next uncovered area and repeated this all the way down the handle.You save some tape this way, and it is a smoother refined look than if I were to have made it one continuous long piece twisted the length of the handle. You can do it either way!

Once the stickers or cutouts have dried well, it is time to add ribbons. I cut a plethora of different sizes, prints, and types of ribbons. I keep them between 8-9.5 inches. The wider ribbons take up more ribbon when you tie a knot, so leave them a bit longer.
Just loop the ribbons around the handle and tie a double pretzel knot (cross over, twist one under and up, then pull tight--IE the first step in tying a shoe x 2) until you have as many ribbons as you like or have handy on that bell.






Once it was covered well, I added one last big bow just because.



Here in the country, anything goes, but I have heard that in some states like Mississippi there are rules on what you can and can't use as a noisemaker. So if you do make this for those game nights, be sure not to knock out any teeth of those sitting around you. They might not like that and you won't either!

                                                        His 


and definitely hers :)