Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Quick DIY Home Decor - Embroidery Hoop Fabric Wall Art

Today I was in a rush to decorate the wall in my sewing and art room. I have relatives coming this week. I did not want my walls here to look bare so I made some quick and cute wall art with embroidery hoops. Embroidery hoops at the craft supply stores run from $1 - $1.40 depending on the sizes. I grabbed the last two large hoops, four medium, and two small hoops. I also noticed some gray, white, and black prints for sale for $1.00 each 18 x 24" rectangle. So I picked the ones that ran in that color line. The only other thing for this craft is a pair of scissors.


Lay the fabric over the smaller ring in a set (the one without the screw in the top). Now close the larger hoop over the top of the smaller hoop so the fabric is tightly covering the space in the middle of the circle.


Start with pressing the fabric. Make sure the fabric will cover the hoop. Also check to make sure the hoop screws located at the top of the circle are all facing the same way or just flip that outside hoop over so they all face the same direction before you start.


Turn the hoop over to view the backside and trim off the extra fabric from the edge.

Now you are ready to hang your hoop on the wall. They would be super cute if you had a word like "DREAM" or "CREATE" on one of the larger hoops. You could even put your initials on one with either fabric paint or embroidered by your own personal machine or by a local embroidery store. Later when I have more time, I plan to add a bird or something cute to one of them and add some word art to another one or two...

(Nevermind that old electric panel box on the right!)