Sunday, December 4, 2011

Uniform Sized Cookies-- Great For Gift Giving



To get sugar cookies to look uniform in size, I use a muffin pan. I love the look of cookies being similar in size and shape especially when gift giving.

I start with a recipe or cookie mix of my choice. For this tutorial, I won't show you how I made the cookie dough, but I will say that I used Krusteaz Sugar Cookie Mix from Sams. You can really make a lot of cookies for gift giving with this package and they are scrumptious!




When my dough is ready, I use my cookie scooper to make dough balls the size of 1 tablespoon. You can use your hands for this part though.


I roll it in baker's sugar or sugar crystals. They are larger in size than granulated sugar, which makes for a prettier site when baked. I also think that they taste better and add texture.





I use Pam to lightly coat my muffin pan even though it says un-greased cookie sheet. This way they come out with no issues because the middle of the bottom sometimes wants to stick. I fill up my muffin tin and bake as directed on the cookie mix. Very important: Don't overcook your cookies!


Forgive my pan, it is really old! Once the cookies come out of the oven, I let them sit a few minutes to allow for the bottom of the cookies to brown a little more. I use a small butter knife or an offset spatula to run along the inside of the muffin cup around the outside of the cookie. Then I gently lift the cookie from the muffin tin and place it onto a sheet of foil to further cool.


They come out thick, but I use my cookie press to flatten them a little while they are still warm. This ensures that the cookies stay chewy and soft :).


They are really looking tasty!! Once they cool, you can handle them as much as you like!! Hmm hmm good.


What Santa doesn't want to be covered in sugar cookies?