Sunday, December 4, 2011

Country Girl Boot Leggings aka Faux Boot Socks



I keep seeing boot socks. I have bought a few pair, but I was trying to think of a way to make some country looking boot socks. I decided that instead of boot socks I would make leggings to wear over your jeans and under your boots. No one will ever know!

I picked up a pair of $5 long underwear bottoms at Wal-Mart.



I cut the legs off.


I actually had to keep part of the crotch because my daughter is 5'10" tall. I cut off the crotch part and sewed up the side to make a straight leg. If you are shorter, just cut off the area below so you can skip the step of sewing the leg straight.


I had my daughter try it on...see what I mean? Her legs never end!

I put a hem in the cut area to give it a clean line. I flip the hem over as I move along. See above...


Taking the bottom of the long underwear--where there is a tight cuff, and I turned it inside out. Then I stretched the cuff over a book with a piece of wax paper on the top. I pinned the lace to the cuffed area. The lacy cuff will actually be at the top of the legging instead of the bottom. The cuff stretches nicely and will hold the legging up.  I trimmed the end of the lace leaving about 1/2" on each end overlapping. I used Fabritac to make a small hem on each end of the lace for a finished look.

I stitched the lace to the legging's cuff with a sewing machine. I stopped before the ends met about 1/2" to use the Fabritac to adhere one edge over the other. It dries very quickly.  


Once dried, I used the sewing machine to finish sewing the lace to the legging.


Don't let this picture fool you... we have oversize bricks on our home. She really is 5'10" and still growing!


She kept one lace upward and one downward to show you what it would look like either way. It also appears that she has a boot that does not want to stay up. :/ ugh...

Happy Crafting!
-K