Sunday, December 4, 2011

DIY Lacy Tank Top



This summer, my daughter wanted a lacy tank top for $49.50 from one of her most favorite companies. That was to me just an outrageous cost for a little lace and a tank. I told her no way not ever!  Then I decided that it was too easy we could definately do this together...

 
I found this tank on clearance and it already had a small trim around the neckline and the arms made of scrunched tulle. It was better than perfect. We got it on clearance for a little under $10.00. 
The initial shirts she wanted had two colors of lace on gray. The tank we created looked pretty close. The lace I purchased at the local Jo Ann Fabric store. All I need was one yard of each with some to spare and I got it for $5.60. The rest of the stuff I had on hand!


MATERIALS:
Lace Trim
Scissors
Sewing Machine
Wax Paper
FabriTac
Thread
Pins
Ribbed Tank
Measure Tape



To get my measurement for the lace, I used a measure tape on the model wearing the tank. I measured from the left seam to the right seam in a zig zag pattern. I added 1 1/2 inches to the lace for the hem and for extra allowance.

NOTE: Do not cut your lace on an unworn shirt, it needs to be stretched normally--it takes a little extra lace when it is stretched. 
On a sheet of wax paper, run a thin line of FabriTac glue across the top right side of the bottom wider lace. Add the smaller lace to the top and press gently. The FabriTac dries in about 5 minutes. Now your lace will be one long piece. Add the FabriTac to one end of one side of the lace and fold backwards about 1/4" to create a hem. 



Have your model put on the shirt and pin the lace in a zigzag.  Start with the side of the lace that has the hem on the end. Pin it to the seam of the shirt.



When you have it pinned, gently remove it from your model. Sew the lace onto the shirt removing the pins as you go. You may have to stretch the ribbed tank just a bit while sewing. Start with the hemmed edge of the lace and stop about 1 inch before the opposite end. Backtack your thread on your machine and trim the extra lace leaving enough for a hem. Flip 1/4" of the hem towards the back side. Add a little FabriTac to seal the hem and press it closed with your fingers. Sew the remaining portion down.


You now have a beautiful inexpensive lacy tank that everyone will think you surely paid full price for!!