Thursday, May 5, 2011

Felt Rose for Gift Packaging, Scarf, or Purse Embellishment

To make a flower out of felt, I first purchased a 9” x 12” rectangle of felt.  I folded it into three long sections and cut the sides to make three long strips.
Then I folded the three strips together into three – four squares and cut the edges.  Now this gives me a stack of squares that are not perfect, which is what I wanted. I trimmed the corners off the squares to round them.
I then took the rounded piece and folded it in half. I did this again putting the center of the folds together and in a weave pattern as you would the top of a box you wanted to shut.  The center now looks like a plus sign and the outside edges are loose and rounded.
I took a needle with thread and sewed a few stitches in the center to connect them all. I added a few stitches in places to tighten it down.
To make it a little imperfect, I took the scissors and added a few extra cuts or “V’s and U’s” so that the flower petals were not so perfectly rounded. If you like that look, then just skip this step. 
Lastly, I added a piece of felt to the backside using hot glue or a threaded needle, sew a rounded bottom underneath the flower. Then add a small rectangular strip to the bottom to allow for a clip or pin to attach to the flower's base.  
Voilah! You are done! You have a rose that you can clip to your purse, scarf, gift packaging, or anywhere for that matter!