Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Zebra Shelving Remade for Teen Bedroom or Home Decor


For this I took a cheap pair of shelves that were pressed board covered in laminate and beat up a bit. They were used and I hated to let them go to waste. I gathered the materials list below to remake them into something beautiful. I got the screws and brackets from Lowes.
Materials: Krylon Plastic spray paint white x 2 (1 per shelf), Collage Pauge, black paint acrylic or satin house paint or whatever color you paint your stripes, paint brushes, inspiration for stripes (mine was fabric), sand paper, white paint, pencil with eraser (optional), shelves. (Missing in this photo are: sand paper, eraser, shelves "before" picture, and white acrylic paint).

I first sanded the shelf edges a bit where they were smashed. The paint says you do not have to do this if you buy the right type of paint for plastic, but I thought it might make it a bit more adhesive and the shelves were really boogered up.

I covered the boards with white Krylon for plastic spray paint. I made sure it would adhere to plastic type surfaces before I bought it. You pay a little more for spray paint like that, but you get what you pay for.  I learned this from buying a dog in the Walmart parking lot for $25 and have regretted it ever since. LOL. This project took two cans of Krylon Fusion for Plastic. It runs about $4 per can. I picked up 3 cans to be safe and stored the third can for future use.   

I put 2 coats on the shelves one at a time allowing for drying time in between. That was hard. Then I went back touched up the shelves by spraying areas that seemed lighter.

I then used a pencil to start drawing zebra stripes at random. I found that when I went to paint the shelf with black interior satin gloss paint that I had on hand from our house (you can use acrylic), I did not stay in the penciled areas and ad-libbed so to say.  It was just easier for me that way. I have however pasted a template that I just sketched for you below. You can use this template on frames, folders-- the opportunities are endless.

Print these on 8 1/2 x 11 paper. Use carbon paper or a pencil to trace the stripes. The pencil will leave an indention that you can go over with pen or pencil and paint.
I found that starting in the center and making lines going from left to right down the board made it easier to paint the lines from top to bottom. If you look at my board you can see the center to see what I am speaking about. It is hard to explain.
Once the zebra stripes were completed, I went back and erased the visible pencil marks and had to touch up paint a few zebra lines with regular acrylic white paint to clean it up a little. 

I covered it lightly with a finish that I had already on hand called Collage Pauge-instant decoupage in glossy.  I love this stuff. It provides a nice glossy finish that is water resistant. 


It turned out real neat and everyone loved it but my husband who said it was great if you like zebras! A first and last name came to my mind... "Debbie Downer".