Saturday, January 14, 2012

Bathroom Wall Art Made Easy


My walls in my bathrooms are pretty bare in my house, because I never know what to put on them. Every time I make a trip to visit my mom, we go to the art store. I know exactly where I get it from. I am right in the middle of painting her bathroom cabinets, when she approaches me to say... "I want to go to the art store when you get done". LOL. "Okay mom..." and off we go while waiting for the cabinets to dry before a second coat. She doesn't have to tell me twice!

During our frequent visits to the art store, I always find myself milling around the canvases. Shortly after, I of course have purchased whatever is on sale. It is usually a 2 for 1 deal that I am proud to bring home and stack up under my desk for a rainy day. I also have filing, computer work, etc. to do on rainy days, and it seems we have been in a drought for two+ years.  Needless to say my canvases are starting to get in my way. :o). I just never can settle on what I want on my own walls. I just don't know why but I draw a blank every time I try to create something for myself.

After being tired of lazing around today, I decided to get it together and make something for my bathroom walls. I decided why not start with the interior walls that no one visits, but me. That way, if it looks bad, I won't have to be embarrassed.

I got a new Cameo Silhouette for my birthday and I haven't really played with it much since. I know that is crazy! So today is the Cameo's lucky day.

I pulled out two small canvases that I got for a total of $3.99 on sale. They will be perfect since my bathroom is not very spacious.




I painted the canvas with a color of my choice, #456 True Burgundy from Folk Art. Folk Art paint sales for between $0.97-$2.00 at your local Wally World. I can't remember the exact amount.




Once the canvas was dry, I used my Cameo to cut vinyl "No. 1" and "No. 2". Yes you guessed right! It is going right over my little potty too. I peeled the stickers and added them.

If you don't have a Silhouette or a Cricut, then you have choices. You can either print, press & trace, then paint in the outline left on the canvas. You can cut and mod podge (1/2 glue and 1/2 water) the letters and numbers on if you don't have a vinyl cutter. Another option would be to email your word document to your local vinyl or sign store and they will cut it for you at a low cost.



I also added some hot glue to the backside of a few mod accordion circles made from a previous post. You can access that here.




I hung them on the wall and tadah!!



It is simple, quick, and inexpensive! That is the best part. :o)