Thursday, October 6, 2011

DIY Faux Trees Wall Stickers/Decals-Painted Trees Wall Art


 I have wanted to paint trees in my son's room for some time now, I have just been too afraid to do it. I finally got the courage and this is the outcome...I love it!


The photo above was one of my inspirations.





I used Valspar Satin Finish Interior Signature Colors in Black. You only need about 1/4 of a quart. My ceilings are 10' tall, and I still have a lot of paint left to use for more projects!









I just had to start with the paint because once I did, I knew there was not turning back. I can be a chicken at times and a bulldog when I need to be. :) My Uncle John always said when my Granny set her mind to do something, she was like a bulldog with a bone. I think I get some of that from her.  


Forgive the photo, the sun went down... I basically started making boxes one on top of the other with a space in between. I either filled in the center of the box or left an area inside it empty. Sometimes I made an opening above the small boxes and then continued on to make slits in the side of the tree. I did my best not to create a special pattern so it would be random. I did however try to keep the base a little larger and the top a little more narrow until I realized I had three trees slanting to the left side.


Once the trunks were done, I added branches one at a time.


I continued making trees until I realized some were slanting to the left (3 of them). What to do?



Add more trees slanting to the right to offset it and I enlarged the trunks on one side only about midway to the ground on 2 trees slanting to the left on the opposite side. For clarification I added an inch or two to the left side where it was slanting towards the left to straighten up the trees a bit.


Side view.

Overall, I really like it. A sponge brush really helped to get through it quicker, but I chose to use paintbrushes for the more intricate parts and the thinner branches.

I am going to do more to it later. Maybe I will add two birds one above the window next to the trees and a nest possibly. I will figure it out in time, but for now I need to take an artist break and the idea will come as well as the urge to get back in there! For now, I have three frames calling my name and a blank mind to fill them!

Keep on Craftin'!

-K