Thursday, September 22, 2011

Halloween Treat Tree DIY



I had this old Halloween bucket that I had gotten at Sams full of candy one year and saved it ever since. I pulled it out of the closet trying to think of what I could do to doctor it up. I decided to make it into a treat tree for my children. They always love surprises, so I can't wait til they see this one. Problem will be keeping them on a discipline of one treat per day! Kind of like an advent calendar, but for Halloween instead.


 I started with tracing a circle onto a foam board. I cut inside the circle about 1/4 inch so that the circle will fit down inside the bucket.


I checked to make sure it fit, then I painted it black with spray paint and let it dry. While it was drying, I took a walk and found some tree branches.



Jackpot! I picked a few branches and cleaned them from loose debris.



The next thing I did was cut an "X" where I wanted to stick the limbs from tree branches.



I found that adding balled up bags into the bucket helped with the stability of the branches. So I filled the bucket with some bags waiting to be recycled.



I added the branches to the bucket. It's looking good so far!!


I hot glued the ribbons to the treats and made a loop on the opposite end. Time to hang the treats!!


And fill the bottom of the bucket with candies over the top of the foam board.


It really turned out cute. My kids are gonna love it!!