Friday, September 2, 2011

Halloween Pumpkin Home Decor


     Well in the spirit of all Halloween and the recent change in the weather, I am going to show you a quick and very easy project that you can do at home for little cost. Most of the materials you already have most likely I guarantee it. And yes this project has been around for some time, but these are much cuter!



Materials List:

NECESSARY ITEMS:  Scissors, toilet paper rolls, *scrap fabric of any type approximately 22 inches x19 inches, sticks from the yard~about 3-5 inches tall and about the width a little larger than a quarter (the size of the hole in the toilet paper), napkins.

OPTIONAL ITEMS: Pinking Shears, wire of any kind or color, felt, scrapbook paper, construction paper, or a paper bag, twine or ribbon, hot glue or glue dots, words printed on paper.

*NOTE: If you don't have scrap fabric from previous projects you purchased at the store then you can use an old shirt or t-shirt. Just cut the top portion off, a slit up the side or sides depending on the size, and you have a nice piece of fabric that will wrap great for this project. Don't worry about seams because they won't show. :)

     First things first, I cleared my space and got all my materials together. I took a nice walk in the yard stick hunting a few times as I was only making one pumpkin to start with and ended with four. Go figure.

Let's begin.

So, after my space was cleared, the first thing I completed was I sat the toilet paper roll over the scrap fabric to ensure my fabric would fit. Never mind that portion cut out of the corner you won't even notice it in the end. Besides, I told you it was scrap fabric! :)


Then I covered the toilet paper roll with the fabric right side up. I located the hole in the roll on top.



Take the crumbled napkin and insert it into the center of the roll. This will hold the fabric on the bottom of the pumpkin firm while you work on the top half. 


Flip the fabric and roll over now and start pulling up the sides and tucking them into the top of the roll.


Then with your hands push along the top edge of the toilet paper roll to kind of round it off. This way it doesn't look like a toilet paper roll.  Once you have that done, fill the center with a crumbled napkin just like you did on bottom.

Now cut some leaves from felt, scrapbook paper, construction paper, or paper bags in the shape of a leaf. Do this freehand, so that they are different sizes and shapes.


Now, take some floral wire, crafting wire, electrical wire, or a hanger and make curly q's over a pencil or pen.  You can use your finger if the wire is pliable for a larger sized curly q. Pull the curly q apart a little to spread out the ringlets.


Take some leaves and curly q's and tuck them into the top of the pumpkin. Place a stick right in the top hole. If you can find a stick that is the size of the hole, that will ensure that the items won't move. This way you don't have to use glue!


For this pumpkin, I added one large string of twine. I removed the napkin and draped the twine up and down the sides from top to bottom making sure to get the twine in the cubby hole in both the top and bottom. Once done, I restuffed the bottom and placed a stick in the top. :) No glue necessary.


I had some white spray paint, so I painted my wire with it :).


I made one pumpkin with no leaves, but added some twine tied around the midsection. So cute :).

This one I added some wire curled oddly around the midsection for a different look.


Add some words printed and cut out with some hot glue, tape, or glue dots. I used a heavy paper and glue dots below.




The best part is after the holiday, you can reuse everything if you stayed away from the glue like me :).